Suse Help.

Linux, Unix, Windows..

Moderator: Moderators

Suse Help.

Postby sjaz » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:48 pm

Hi there,

I've been through various Linux Distros looking for the perfect desktop OS.

I've eventually settled upon Suse which does my Radeon card out of the box with no issues at all.

My question though,

I'm used to debian based apt, fedora yum, and gentoo emerge ... I see this yast thingy, how does it work?

I'd read the man pages but I want to know what users think.

/me pokes dillon.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:16 pm

It works, but do not even compare to apt, imho its not even near.

I want to see if SuSE will be better when 10.1 is released, until then I am staying with Ubuntu.

Have a look at Ubuntu too, Debian based, big repository and great hardware support.
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby dillona_aix » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:59 am

Command line or graphical?
Graphical is pretty simple(point and click), but CLI is a little awkward. I have perfected it though. If thats what you need, I can provide instructions.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dillona_aix

Postby afonic » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:49 pm

Dillon,

can you say which repositories you add to YaST?

I am trying to build a stable system using SuSE 10.0 Eval DVD but I need some repository as the programs available by YaST just from the DVD are very limited.

I am looking for what to add in the sources to get as wide variety of software available from YaST as possible. I don't need dev/unstable repos to get the latest candy.

Is it my idea or they have fucked up the documentation? All these version, openSuse + Suse, retail, open source, eval version and the in middles a confusing wiki that contains info that confuses people even more! 8)

Thanks.
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby dillona_aix » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:40 am

The only mirror I have on SuSE is ftp://150.254.186.34/%2fpub/linux/opens ... nst-source. It was actually generated from a netinstall from this mirror, so you can know that it has everyting you need. I have actually not set up desktop system, so I cannot give any advice, but SuSE does actually have a KDE desktop installed on it.
I am really disappointed in the documentation on SuSE 10.0 as well, but it is something you just have to deal with. Maybe the community generated from the opensuse project will help to improve this.

NOTE: Most of the time in this post whan I say SuSE, I am reffering to the Polarhome SuSE server.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dillona_aix

Postby afonic » Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:21 pm

Well I kind of found the problem. Thing is, YaST doesn't show the speed when downloading packages. I added the official SuSE mirrors that are *very* slow so the whole thing for some weird reason stucked! (even thought I let it work for a whole day).

Now its fine, added support for most media and got the latest GNOME updates from Suse. I take my taking playing in order to think if an Ubuntu -> SuSE migration is worth it. I really love Ubuntu, but I am a guy that gets bored very -very easily. Tomorrow I may post about trying Madriva or Fedora! :P
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Operating systems