Solaris Wireless

Hard and soft ware discusion.

Moderator: Moderators

Solaris Wireless

Postby dillona_aix » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:49 am

Hi,
I am downloading Solaris 10.0 and am going to put it on a spare HDD in my DELL 1150 laptop. It has a Dell Wireless 1350 wireless card. Does anyone know if it will work out of the box without much trouble? I have never used Solaris before, so I hope support is built in.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dillona_aix

Postby zoli » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:48 am

wireless on unix is pain in the * in general. I did succseeded with some cards on linux, but it was not trivial at all.

ok time is changing, software is more stable and reliable... regardless, I would like to prepare you - that you do not have lot of chances to get it working.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:57 pm

Well in the latest distros I tried (Ubuntu 5.10 and Mepis) my wireless card was automatically detected and activated. If I didn't use WEP encryption it would even get connected to the network. I think this is a major impovement as prior to these new version of the above distros I had to use ndiswrapper to get them working.

As for Solaris, I have only run it inside VMware so I don't really know. :roll:
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby dillona_aix » Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:31 pm

Hi,
I have got my wireless card to work on linux(Debian and Fedora) so far. I had to use ndiswrapper. Will this work on Solaris? I do not know how the kernels compare.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dillona_aix

Postby DenisF » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:21 pm

Check what's the chipset on that wireless card. if it's an Orinoco - it will most likely work. not sure about others.
[ FAQ ] :: [ Policy ] :: [ Port Forwarding Guide ] :: [ Search ]
DenisF
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby dillona_aix » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:56 am

I have finally gotten around to installing Solaris(been using Windows Longhorn). I read the bcf driver at http://homepage2.nifty.com/mrym3/taiyodo/eng/ works for my ethernet card on solaris 10.
dillona_aix

Return to Computers