Mono

Hard and soft ware discusion.

Moderator: Moderators

Mono

Postby dillona_aix » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:35 am

Hi,
One topic I think is becoming important in the Linux world is the Mono project.
For anyone not fimiliar with it, it is basically an open source C# compiler and runtime. *nix servers can also use it to host ASP.NET web apps, one of the main things (at least to the people I have talked to) that attracts people to Windows Server.
What does everyone think about this? Is this a good thing? A bad thing? Will it give Linux a bigger market share? Will it inspire managed code developers to leave the confines of Windows?

I look forward to hearing everyone,
Dillon

EDIT: As an afterthought, is Mono installed on any of the polarhome hosts?
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dillona_aix

Postby DenisF » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:51 am

Dunno i think it's kinda hipocritical to use microsoft's own coding languages on open source servers.
moreso on servers like Polarhome that preach "open source for the win!", it's just not right.

But then again, the linux world got used to Wine, then it got used to NTFS kernel drivers, and now this.
IMO too many "microsoftish" projects going on.. but that's the beauty of open source.. so meh. everyone's free to do whatever.
[ FAQ ] :: [ Policy ] :: [ Port Forwarding Guide ] :: [ Search ]
DenisF
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby dillona_aix » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:51 am

When I wrote that I was really thinking about the biggest Windows Server shop I have been in. They migrated to Windows from AIX because their devs (for whatever reason) wanted ASP.NET.
Thats 100 servers with $1000 each going to M$.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dillona_aix

Postby miker_alpha » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:30 am

<mode=PARANOID_ON>
... and then people will be able to run M$ bug-ridden code on Linux, so that M$ will be able to point fingers and claim they're no more insecure than the competition.
<mode=PARANOID_OFF>

Regards,
MikeR
Look for OpenVMS help on my webpage
Check for QOTD here.
miker_alpha

Postby afonic » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:59 am

DenisF wrote:Dunno i think it's kinda hipocritical to use microsoft's own coding languages on open source servers.
moreso on servers like Polarhome that preach "open source for the win!", it's just not right.

But then again, the linux world got used to Wine, then it got used to NTFS kernel drivers, and now this.
IMO too many "microsoftish" projects going on.. but that's the beauty of open source.. so meh. everyone's free to do whatever.

I am not sure, I think everything that makes Linux easier to use is good. For example, using wine I can play CS or WC3 (games that I play 90% of a time I play something in my pc) in Linux and avoid restarting the PC to get in Windows. Sure, I'd love these games to run natively, but this ain't gonna happen and we all know it.

Now if you use ASP.NET applications you should use a Windows server. I see not point in using Linux + Mono if you only plan in creating ASP.NET applications.

Many sites use ASP and I not really sure why. I should really look into it. Is it so much easier than PHP for example that its worth it the extra cost of dev software and paying for a Windows server?
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Computers