DoS Tool for Linux

Hard and soft ware discusion.

Moderator: Moderators

DoS Tool for Linux

Postby afonic » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Hi,

maybe someone knows any DoS attack tool for Linux that can attack a certain IP at a certain port?

The reason I need it is to test a Counter-Strike server (that is in the format IP:27015 for example) against those type of attacks and see how I can make it immune.

I seem to be getting a lot of trouble from these script kiddies and having no way to test how to keep the server up this is becoming a waste of time just changing a setting in the firewall and the server and waiting for the next attack, plus the furstration of those already connected to play that get dropped.

As I never really looked into these kind of tools, let me know of any you may know or use for testing etc.
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby romana_netbsd » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:46 pm

It sounds to me like the skids are providing all the attacks you need without having to make your own; and that what you want is a prevention mechanism, not another attack mechanism.
romana_netbsd

Postby miker_alpha » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:47 pm

I don't know how you could do this in Linux, but if I had to run up something quick-and-dirty on VMS, I would write up a script to search the tcpip logfile for unsociable behaviour (say over 100 accesses from the same IP in a hour...) parse the results for the address I _don't_ want and set it to be rejected.
Under VMS that would be
TCPIP SET Communication/reject/host=12.34.56.78 /message="Drop dead script kiddies"
(I especially like the /message option!)

The problem with trying a DoS attack on yourself is (I think) you probably need more bandwidth as an attacker than the defender has... Or am I completely off track?

Good luck, anyway!

MikeR
Look for OpenVMS help on my webpage
Check for QOTD here.
miker_alpha

Return to Computers