polarhome shutting down some servers

Important news and announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

polarhome shutting down some servers

Postby zoli » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:57 am

Hello,

during almost ten years I have kept all servers running and tried to keep them online all the time.

Unfortunately, the current economic situation forced to re-evaluate the economic status of whole polarhome... and the result was as you may guess terrible.

Not counting the charge less, free work that polarhome administrators and myself put to polarhome, servers demand electric power, hardware and network equipment and internet connection.
It turned out that electric power consumption rules the balance sheet.

Therefore, I have decided to apply the following measures:

- Servers that do not enjoy the community demand will be shut down until the polarhome income does not cover their operation cost or there is an explicit (well explained developer) demand.
- Deploy server virtualization - that means that some servers like netbsd, openbsd, freebsd, qnx that have low traffic can be run like virtual server on a single real host.
- Improve the home page in order to allow closer community communication and to achieve solutions easier, faster and more effective.
- Implement an online web based server turn on/off functionality

I am aware that not everybody will appreciate these measures, but I am simply forced.

This is not the first time that polarhome community has hard time... and as we survived all these we'll survive this one as well and we'll continue within the economic borders that the community can appreciate.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby sjaz » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:40 pm

Count us all in to help Zoli.

I appreciate the economic climate and will do anything in my power to help.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Read this!