GMail users, read

Important news and announcements.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby DenisF » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:54 pm

Since there are alot of GMail users here, i felt that warning you lot if very important.

Google's high profile webmail service, Gmail, is vulnerable to a security exploit that might allow hackers full access to a user's email account simply by knowing the user name, according to reports. The security flaw allows full access to users' accounts, with no need of a password, Israeli news site Nana says.

Using a hex-encoded XSS link, the victim's cookie file can be stolen by a hacker, who can later use it to identify himself to Gmail as the original owner of an email account, regardless of whether or not the password is subsequently changed. Following up a tip from an Israeli hacker, journos from the site confirmed the attack and verified the exploit with local security firm Aladdin Knowledge Systems.

Source: <a href='http://www.neowin.net/comments.php?id=25280&category=main' target='_blank'>Neowin</a>

In plain english - I strongly suggest removal of any high-profile emails [like paypal passwords, and such] from your gmail account.
[ FAQ ] :: [ Policy ] :: [ Port Forwarding Guide ] :: [ Search ]
DenisF
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Matej » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:10 pm

Huh. Thank god i don't use my account.
Matej
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:52 pm

I never keep important password in email accounts, it's too risky. The best storage method for your passwords (1024-bit) is write it on a piece of paper. You can even hide it somewhere!

Now to the subject, this one is really dangerous, but I bet it will be fixed really soon now that it is public.
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby DenisF » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:23 pm

Yup.
i'm sure it'll get fixed soon, but this is just one of those things that justifies downloading your email every 5 minutes via pop3.

having my passwords sit on a remote server somewhere in teh google HQ is safe from me, but then again - how much of a threat am i compared to a multitude of l33t h4x0rz who sit all day and try to break gmail...
[ FAQ ] :: [ Policy ] :: [ Port Forwarding Guide ] :: [ Search ]
DenisF
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby sjaz » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:34 pm

uber.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Read this!