some of my files were deleted..

Troubleshooting with your custom scripts/programs installed on Polarhome.

Moderator: Moderators

some of my files were deleted..

Postby maorl » Tue May 31, 2005 7:39 pm

as i was already saying.. some of my files were deleted.. i'm using the redhat host. i think you need to improve your definitions..
maorl

Postby Matej » Tue May 31, 2005 9:15 pm

As you might have noticed redhat's hard disk chrasred and it had to be replaced.

2005.05.30 redhat /home partition is in very bad shape. 98% of data is restored, but there are still tasks to do. I esimate that server will be online again before Wednesday - but do not bet on that - because there might be included a migration to Fedora as well.

In fact Z did a migration and redhat is no more. Seems your files were in those 2%.

A solution for this would be a mass data backup system like a tape recorder. Perhaps you want to donate one. :)
Last edited by Matej on Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matej
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby sjaz » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:01 am

I think your quite rude to be honest.

Do you know how many accounts there are on the redhat/fedora box?

Are you aware the root does all this for FREE.
He has a family too and your bitching about your files? Man, if you dont have a backup, thats YOUR problem.

Grow up.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby zoli » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:51 am

hi,

it stays everywhere that polarhome is "AS-IS" and also on several places that polarhome does not have full backup.

Why? Because polarhome is non commercial and does not have enough income to afford professional equipment nor staff that could work according professional procedures. We just give as much we can, and when we can, on what is available.

We do backup sensitive data as /etc directory, mail, databases and few other system related directories, but not the /home partition (gate is exception). /home partition is huge on every host and polarhome have 15 hosts. We would need more than 0.6T storage are to do a full backup.

This is the first time (during 5 years) that some /home crashed that badly that we lost data. In fact the inode table is also damaged therefore data loss is spread through whole storage area. Somebody miss just a file while somebody whole home directory. From 103G about 100G is restored.

and to be honest... we should be prepared to face such issues on other host as well. polarhome runs on refurbished or already retired hardware and some of the disk are more than 5 years in 24/7 operation within polarhome. So, future does not look bright and we have to be aware of it.

Therefore... please, do your own backup!
Last edited by zoli on Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby maorl » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:29 pm

well i got your points.. and you right.. it is my problem aniway.. sorry..
maorl

Return to Troubleshooting