Login to MySQL over the internet possible?

No longer supported!

Moderator: Moderators

Postby sutsugua » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:25 am

Hi,

I'm pretty new to MySQL, but I am wondering if I can access the database over the internet, i am trying this (from a DOS prompt):

mysql -h polarhome.com -u sutsugua

but I get:

ERROR 2005: Unknown MySQL Server Host 'polarhome.com' (11001)

Is it at all possible to connect to the database other than through phpMyAdmin? Should I set a port or is there another MySQL host?

Thanks!
sutsugua

Postby sutsugua » Sat Aug 14, 2004 1:38 am

Ok, I read the faq's again and I am still a bit confused, but I think this is about me:

by default your MySQL host is localhost.
polarhome on servers that support MySQL create MySQL accounts, but for security reason just hostname=localhost can connect to that account. You can manage your database account with web interface ( <a href='http://www.polarhome.com/service/database/' target='_blank'>http://www.polarhome.com/service/database/</a> ) or request from mysql@polarhome.com to enable your host or every host to connect to MySQL server.
Please note: - always quote your username and hostname in any correspondence with support - if you want to have same password for localhost access and for world access, please provide your MySQL account password as well with the request.
faq

Does this mean that I should email mysql@polarhome.com and ask them to GRANT my host, username and pwd?
Oh yeah, I want to be able to access a MySQL db over the internet from Excel, using ODBC. Just for the fun of it, heh :)
sutsugua

Postby naveed » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:18 pm

of course you have to send an email to able o connect from internet,once it is enabled you may connect from Excel or from JDBC, it will work fine :):)
naveed

Postby sjaz » Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:24 pm

You must email mysql@polarhome.com and provide your static IP address username + password.

Im unsure whether you'll be allowed to do it.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby jagar_freebsd » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:28 am

Localhost = no connections from the internet.(you are connecting locally within the server)
mysql.polarhome.com = this means you are able to connect.(*domain*)
In fact there are some remote database hosts, but am not updated for years. :D
google it and choose the best.
I suggest access 2000 or MSSQL, If you are an excel man.
Remote database is awfully slow.(I mean really really slow, so stick to the localhost, when you go beyond fun)
>>>Laugh<<< is a life energy.
jagar_freebsd
Advanced Member

Postby DenisF » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:17 pm

Try portlandSQL [www.portlandsql.co.uk], they are much better suited to provide the service you require.
[ FAQ ] :: [ Policy ] :: [ Port Forwarding Guide ] :: [ Search ]
DenisF
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to FTP accounts