chmod question

No longer supported!

Moderator: Moderators

chmod question

Postby zoky_redhat » Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:22 pm

Hello people!
I am new here and my english is pretty bad so this will probably will be very funny post :)

I red some old posts on this forum, and if I undestand well with ftp accounf only i can't change file permitions (ch mod), am I right?
Can i do that wit shell account?

I saw that you on few places write about safe mod... does that mean that I can't run some scripts here wich I can run on some other server (which don't use safe mod)?
I try to run some e-mail script (which work fine on some other servers) but it won't work (it was disabled for security reasons - that showed up in my browser). Is that caouse of safe mod or I mess up something?
Does the safe mod has any revelatioship with shell of ftp accounts (I mean if I have a shell acconut should
everything still be in safe mode)?

Thank you for help!
greetings from Croatia :)
zoky_redhat

Re: chmod question

Postby Matej » Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:42 pm

zoky_redhat wrote:... i can't change file permitions (ch mod), am I right?

No, you're wrong. You CAN change file permissions via FTP - moats ftp programs have a feature called chmod that will do just fine.

zoky_redhat wrote:Can i do that wit shell account?

You can also do it with a shell account.

zoky_redhat wrote:I saw that you on few places write about safe mod... does that mean that I can't run some scripts here wich I can run on some other server (which don't use safe mod)?

Yes, that's correct.

zoky_redhat wrote:I try to run some e-mail script (which work fine on some other servers) but it won't work (it was disabled for security reasons - that showed up in my browser). Is that caouse of safe mod or I mess up something?

No, it's the because php mail(); function has been disabled on polarhome. Most mailer scripts won't work here.

zoky_redhat wrote:Does the safe mod has any revelatioship with shell of ftp accounts (I mean if I have a shell acconut should
everything still be in safe mode)?

I'm not quite sure. There was some discussion about a script that would allow mail for shell user though I have no idea if it works now. Perhaps someone other knows the answer or I'll check later.

zoky_redhat wrote:Thank you for help!
greetings from Croatia :)

No problem and cheers from Slovenia. :wink:
Matej
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby zoky_redhat » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:21 pm

Thanx man :)
zoky_redhat

Postby Matej » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:54 am

A smal update. U can use mail(); if you have a shell account on freebsd.
Note: just freebsd server and just shell account there.

On all other server's you can't use php mail.
Matej
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to FTP accounts