AIX Wishlist

Support for services available to Shell account users.

Moderator: Moderators

AIX Wishlist

Postby dillona_aix » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:44 pm

Hi,
Could someone please install the emacs text exitor on the AIX host? I would myself, but I can't figure out how. For future referance, if you could provide instructions that would be great.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dillona_aix

Postby zoli » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:53 pm

hi,

I tried to install xemacs, but it was not successful :(

bash-2.04$ xemacs
Could not load program xemacs:
Could not load module /usr/lib/libX11.a(shr4.o).
Dependent module /usr/local/lib/libiconv.a(shr4.o) could not be loaded.
Member shr4.o is not found in archive

Once when I have lot of time, I'll try to build one.

Otherwise, I would like to give you an advice as a father (I have a son like you): Not every unix system has emacs installed - but every has vi. If you plan to hang around in Unix world - you should try to get comfortable with vi.

Sorry for bad news.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:22 pm

I'd vote for pico as my personal favourite! :)
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby dillona_aix » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:45 am

I tried out pico and really liked it. I think I will use it, but zoli, I will keep your suggestion in mind. Even though you couldn't get it to build thank you for trying. :D
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dillona_aix

Postby DenisF » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:33 am

OT; pico is just awesome for simple text editing, but for more complex stuff [source code editing, making lists, formatting text, etc'] i highly recommend ViM due to it's flixability, because you simply can't get any better than that.

ViM is overwhelming at first sight to new *nix users [or those who have spent their lives without ever using Vi/ViM] but once you get to know it - it's really simple to operate, and offers a HUGE amount of VERY nice features - if you have the time to learn how to operate them all.

Anyhow. try ViM :) i got so used to it, that i don't even use pico for my simple text now. ViM all the way baby :lol:

P.S
No, Nano is not Pico. Nano is a piece of cow shit. 'nuff said.
[pardon my french]
[ FAQ ] :: [ Policy ] :: [ Port Forwarding Guide ] :: [ Search ]
DenisF
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

ViM

Postby dillona_aix » Tue Sep 20, 2005 4:36 am

ViM is a little overwhelming, but I think with some getting used to, it could be great. Zoli has a great point in that all *nix OSes have ViM installed.
dillona_aix

Postby zoli » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:48 am

...unfortunately my statement is not valid for Vim :(

Every polarhome system does have Vim installed (because polarhome is kind of Vim supporter and developer site) but this is not the situation generally in Unix world.

The corect statement would be: every Unix OS has Vi compatibe editor.

On Linux distribution this editor is Vim but on AIX, HP-UX etc this is usually an old BSD compatible Vi.

However - the basic Vi movements and key strokes do work on every Vi competible editor - and this is the most important. This gives the full power of Vi. You feel this power best when you use more than 16 OS-es on daily basis and you do not need to learn new text editor on every.

Notepad on Windows, pico on AIX, LSE on VMS or whatever. Use vim, if available - if not vi is there fore sure.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Shell accounts