freebsd requests

Support for services available to Shell account users.

Moderator: Moderators

freebsd requests

Postby wxl » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:59 am

whoa, 6.0 huh? phew, behind the times a bit? can we get 7 or 8? oh well, beggars can't be choosers. :D

anywho, i had thought that it was up to the individual user to install the packages they require but i see i misread the policy.
that being said, possible to get tmux and finch pretty please?

:twisted: <- :beastie:
wxl

Re: freebsd requests

Postby zoli » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:40 pm

Hello,

it is planned that the freebsd box will get a bit better hardware and upgrade to the recent OS level.
The question is just when I will get some time to do this?

Unfortunately all BSD boxes has a considerably more complicated upgrade mechanism compared with Linux, that so far always caused some problems around - therefore it is easier keep it on an older functional level, then keep on the cutting edge and have problems with services.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby wxl » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:51 pm

no matter as I think tmux and finch both have v6 compatible releases still in ports (please install).. and hey, at least your problem is time and not money.

:twisted:
wxl

Postby zoli » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:25 am

Hello,

wxl wrote:at least your problem is time and not money.
:twisted:

this is not totally true. I try to keep polarhome.com self sustained.
If I would have much higher polarhome.com budget that I would not spend a week every night fighting with installing HP-UX on a stone age hardware, but purchase a new one and install it in few hours.
...and the is valid for all polarhome boxes.

Administration of those very old boxes take more time than you can imagine (when needed - luckily they just simply work well in the most cases)

I was already made a calculation, that it would be more efficient if I would work few weeks overtime and on the extra income purchase new hardware than keep the old one running.
Unfortunately, this extra income always goes to my wifes budget :) - you know. This is the family life.

This is the reason why polarhome is as it is :(

I am sorry... but I promise that when I hit a jackpot on a lottery or polarhome gets a huge donation the hardware will be replaced that will lift up the service quality with measurable levels.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby wxl » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:18 am

no complaints about hardware, just need finch (actually this is for 7.3 and no earlier version exists, so this may pose a problem) and tmux installed please. thx. :D

i guess meanwhile i can make do with screen and centericq.
wxl

Return to Shell accounts