k-line on efnet

Irc, Eggdrop, BNC problems and discusion.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby thorem » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:54 am

hi!

i've been on efnet for several years. since i joined in the polarhome community i've been using bnc there. now all of a sudden i got k-lined, the msg was "Cloning is prohibited".

could anyone explain if there is something i can do about this.

thanks!

/thorem
thorem

Postby afonic » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:45 pm

Just mails their admins and explain what happened. You mean your polarhome account was k-lined or your IP?
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby sjaz » Sun Aug 15, 2004 12:59 pm

k-line refers to a hostname ban normally so I would guess someone loaded a bunch of clones onto efnet from polarhome. I may find some time later to email the kline team to ask about a trust.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby thorem » Sun Aug 15, 2004 1:39 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-sjaz+Aug 15 2004, 11:59 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sjaz @ Aug 15 2004, 11:59 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->k-line refers to a hostname ban normally so I would guess someone loaded a bunch of clones onto efnet from polarhome. I may find some time later to email the kline team to ask about a trust.[/quote]
thanks a lot for the speedy answers! i logged on the other morning, all was fine, went too give my son some breakfast, and upon return i saw this. i very much appreciate if you could mail the kline team an ask for a trust, i will mail them myself too, and explain what happened.

regards

/thorem
thorem

Postby sjaz » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:47 pm

Dear Sirs,

I am writing to represent an open source educational alternative OS shell provider which has several thousand members actively using and learning about UNIX/Linux. Unfortunately this project has to share a single public IPv4 IP address and we are having users trying to use efnet but facing problems due to being klined for “Cloning”. I am writing to ask whether it would be possible to have a trust on your server as it is Swedish (local to our network) for around 150 users if possible. If this is not possible please can you advise me of a department to contact to apply for a trust elsewhere.

I thank you for your time and assistance in this matter.

IPv4 Address: 81.216.198.11
Hostname: *.polarhome.com

I can understand concerns of “abuse” but can assure you that each user is forced with the ident@host to be their username@server.polarhome.com therefore forbidding clients by username will work. You can also speak with me directly or the owner of polarhome.com on support@polarhome.com to have an abusive user removed.

I hope you can assist us in this venture as a lot of our users are interested in using efnet for chatting and educational purposes.

Sincere Regards,

Charles Kingsley
Polarhome Support Moderator

I sent this to TWO Swedish Efnet Server Administrators and hope to have a response soon.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby thorem » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:44 pm

<!--QuoteBegin-sjaz+Aug 15 2004, 05:47 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (sjaz @ Aug 15 2004, 05:47 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->
Dear Sirs,

I am writing to represent an open source educational alternative OS shell provider which has several thousand members actively using and learning about UNIX/Linux. Unfortunately this project has to share a single public IPv4 IP address and we are having users trying to use efnet but facing problems due to being klined for “Cloning”. I am writing to ask whether it would be possible to have a trust on your server as it is Swedish (local to our network) for around 150 users if possible. If this is not possible please can you advise me of a department to contact to apply for a trust elsewhere.

I thank you for your time and assistance in this matter.

IPv4 Address: 81.216.198.11
Hostname: *.polarhome.com

I can understand concerns of “abuse” but can assure you that each user is forced with the ident@host to be their username@server.polarhome.com therefore forbidding clients by username will work. You can also speak with me directly or the owner of polarhome.com on support@polarhome.com to have an abusive user removed.

I hope you can assist us in this venture as a lot of our users are interested in using efnet for chatting and educational purposes.

Sincere Regards,

Charles Kingsley
Polarhome Support Moderator

I sent this to TWO Swedish Efnet Server Administrators and hope to have a response soon. [/quote]
thanks a lot for your kind help sjaz!

it was very well written, and i hope that their response will be to let polarhome users use efnet wihtout further k-lines.

again, thanks a lot!

/thorem
thorem

Postby sjaz » Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:59 pm

I will paste their response if i receive one. I may need to get Zoli to translate into Swedish if they dont understand english.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby sjaz » Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:31 pm

No response as yet.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby thorem » Wed Aug 25, 2004 8:50 pm

Still no response i figure. As of now my bnc have been on efnet for some days without getting k-lined. I hope its stays that way.

Thanks for your help sjaz!

/thorem
thorem

Postby sjaz » Wed Aug 25, 2004 10:42 pm

Maybe they added the trust and just didnt think to tell me ? :) ... If it happens again let me know and ill ask Zoli to translate the email into local tongue.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby thorem » Fri Aug 27, 2004 9:47 am

sure i will.

again, thanks!

/thorem
thorem

Postby sjaz » Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:45 pm

No problem.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby thorem » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:15 pm

hi!

after succesfully being on efnet for some time after the k-line i got it has happened again. the message i get is "Banned: Temporary K-line 1440 min. - Cloning is prohibited".

obviously they had not added polarhome users as a trust. if sjaz or anyone else can help me, and probably others too, with this again i would be very greatfull.

thanks!

/thorem
thorem

Postby sjaz » Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:01 am

That kline is for 1 day. It should have expired by now.

A Kline is only local to 1 server, so you could always try another efnet server.

They arent exactly very nice people to deal with, perhaps denis would like to try.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby thorem » Sat Oct 09, 2004 7:20 pm

Sjaz,

thanks for responding. i know that the kline was for one day, but it has gone three days now and i get the same msg everytime i try and connect. i have tried numerous servers too, but still get the same msg. i will try and get in touch with someone who might be able too help, but if any moderator in here feels an immediate urge to help :) then please do so.

cheers for now!

/thorem
thorem

Postby sjaz » Sun Oct 10, 2004 12:18 pm

If you can get me an email address for someone who speaks some form of half english and has the power I'll send them a modified version of ym original mail.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby thorem » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:51 pm

Sjaz,

i have found some information that might be helpfull regarding the kline. Here is the info:

server 1: irc.dataphone.se
Admins: Darkface, Ahnberg and Jofi
Channel: #se-opers
Email: ircadmin@irc.pp.se

Server 2: irc.du.se
Admins: Ahnberg (mattias@ahnberg.pp.se), sickboy (sonny@mindwipe.org)
Channel: #irc.du.se
Email: irc@big.du.se

I'm pretty sure they all know their english, so the language will hopefully not be a problem.

Thanks a lot for your kind assistance in this matter!

/thorem
thorem

Postby sjaz » Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:50 am

email sent.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby thorem » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:17 pm

Still no response i presume. One thinks they could at least drop a line or two.

Anyway, i tried and log on to efnet with my bnc today and got another response, no kline it seems, but i am not really shure what it means. this was the message: "got disconnected (from irc.inet.tele.dk) Reason: Closing Link: removed[removed@255.255.255.255] (No more connections allowed in your connection class)".

Anyone know what this means?

/thorem
thorem

Postby sjaz » Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:22 pm

That means theres no space on the server for the current connection class ... ie "users".

There will be a connection class for "opers" "users" etc.

No no response and I sent it from a different domain than polarhome incase its listed on a spambots list or something.

Ignorant people imo.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Polarhome IRC