Inspired

Topics not related to Polarhome.

Moderator: Moderators

Inspired

Postby Igloo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:53 pm

I am truely inspired by what you guys do for the community!

I often use the IRC.CGI for connecting while at work :roll:

I am so inspired that i am even setting up a server at home.

If you guys dont mind, i would like to use your idea of a free space and ftp server.

For now it will be running windows server 2003, but as soon as i get a good build of Linux to use as a server.

I would like to link this linux box to polarhome (if thats possible) to provide accounts for UK users.

I understand if you dont want this.

But i hope i can use your ideas for this project.

My problem is that i do not know what the users require, this is where i would like your help.

What services do you provide (other than ftp and web services)?

And would someone who is good with a particular good linux server distro be availible to help me set it up?

Many thanks, waiting reply.

Igloo
Igloo

Postby Matej » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:00 pm

For a general overview of what polarhome provides I recommend checking out http://www.polarhome.com/service/policy.html (pay special attention to the Service table).

Polarhome already had some outside servers (like mandrake.polarhome.com) so I guess it's possible to do this but you should contact zoli and discuss it with him.

its great to see someone willing to offer such a service but I hope that you understand that running an own server requires a lot of time, effort and knowledge.

For a Linux distro I would vote for ubuntu (or Debian perhaps). It's quite easy to setup and maintain (apt is very handy) and besides polarhome doesn't yet have this distribution on any server so it would be a good addition.
Matej
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Igloo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:40 pm

coincidently i was thinking of running ubuntu on it for now :lol: so i might as well leave it on there.

I shall take your advice and put myself into contact with zoli.

I do have the spare time, enough effort, and i am looking to expand my knowledge (its as much for the polarhome users as it is for me).

and i shall take a read of the policy in more detail when i get home.

Thanks Matej
Igloo

Postby DenisF » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:01 pm

Ubuntu sucks donkey kong, and we already have a debian server.

Yeah polarhome had quite a few external hosts, like qnx and aix if i'm not mistaken, i think one of the VMS machines too.

i also ran the mandrake project, which was an external polarhome system located in my room :)

I gotta tell you, it might sound like an ever-so-fun idea right now, but it does require quite a lot of administration work to keep it up. between the multitude of new users, hack attempts and whatnot, this will take a sizeable portion of your time. make sure you're ready for it.

[though now with the new "no more free ftp access" accounts, your work should be much much easier if you do get selected to host an external PH machine]
[ FAQ ] :: [ Policy ] :: [ Port Forwarding Guide ] :: [ Search ]
DenisF
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:24 pm

DenisF wrote:Ubuntu sucks donkey kong

Ahem! :twisted:

Igloo, thanks for your offer to help out, you are the kind of users Polarhome wants and needs!

Talk with zoli, he is the one running things around here!
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Igloo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:03 pm

i did send him a PM and am awaiting reply.
Igloo

Postby zoli » Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:18 pm

hi,

it is a very good idea.

Yeah polarhome had quite a few external hosts, like qnx and aix if i'm not mistaken, i think one of the VMS machines too.

In fact all hosts are located here.
Ultrix, Debian and Mandrake were just external hosts.
Ultrix and Debian were moved into the realm.

Unfortunately, the history shows that external hosts are not successful. I do not say that it is not possible to drive - but it makes lot of trouble for polarhome when it closes - like ultrix or mandrake for example.

You have my support for running an external polarhome host. But before you decide to run a server, think about the following:
- do you really want to have this host up and running 24/7/52?
- do you have enough time for management?
- are you awere that this is not just a one year project?
- do you have enough behind to take the responsibility for your own host (when it is as open as a polarhome host)?

I agree that it is not a big deal to set up a server - but it is a big deal to keep it alive for years.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Igloo » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:20 pm

what kind of management would it entail?

I am on hand 99% of the time to sort problems with the server out.

It would not be a problem to have the host running 24/7/52/365 etc, as this is waht my main computer does anyway. (it wont be hosted on my computer, but on another box, i was giving my computer as an example to state that this isnt a problem).

I am aware that if i run the server, it would need to be around until such a time as it becomes redundant.

I have some but *little* experience with hosting linux servers, i am more of a windows server guy (although i hate to admit it).

I look on my offering as a chance to learn things "the hard way" as it were. learn as it goes on.

Zoli is there a way that we can have a lengthy discussion, rather than using the forums?

some sort of MSN / IRC perhaps? (if we can arrange a time to meet on the polarhome irc server even.)

Thanks for your reply,

Matt "Igloo" Iggo
Igloo

Postby zoli » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:53 pm

good...

To be honest I am not a chat guy - but we can arrange tonight 11 o'clock MET DST+1 (Stockholm time) on polarhomes irc server.

Please note - this server does not have nick's reserved - so it might happen that somebody else logs in as zoli - I will not ask any password etc online.

If I would not be there - do not wait for me more than 5 minutes - then I was needed to do some kind of family duty.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Matej » Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:48 pm

Don't forget another major thing - bandwith. I hope you have enough of it (although without FTP accounts it shouldn't be such a problem as it is now).
Matej
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:29 pm

Yeah, you'll need a fast and without bandwidth limit line.

As for the distro, let me suggest Suse. Its one of the major ones and it has a new boost now that Novell started the openSuse project (www.opensuse.org). I mean I'd vote for ubuntu but it's very similar to Debian. :)
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Chitchat