Yes
75%
No
25%

Total votes : 4

Mandriva

Postby zoli » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:06 pm

Hello,

DenisF still have some years left... and my old laptop is not useble any more because diplay is damaged (a HP OB 6100)

I would suggest to restore DenisF's Mandrake here with Mandriva 2007 on that box.

Opinions?

Denis?
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:54 am

I don't know if you already have the backups and restoring them is easy, however I don't like Mandriva (Mandrake) anymore. They seem to have gone too "commercial" in my eye, plus the community and popularity is shrinking and the seem to have abandoned the "server" part of their distro.

I can suggest in the other hand an Ubuntu server! It is the most popular distro right now, well supported (Long Term Support version will have updates until June 2011) and has a growing community. I am an admin in an Ubuntu server myself and I feel pretty confident.

Also, CentOS which is a rebuild of Redhat Enterprise Linux from the freely available sources is an excellent choice, probably as good as RHEL itself, I run it in 2 missiion-critical servers and have had no failure for 1 1/2 year now.
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby dillona_aix » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:00 am

I can suggest in the other hand an Ubuntu server! It is the most popular distro right now, well supported (Long Term Support version will have updates until June 2011) and has a growing community. I am an admin in an Ubuntu server myself and I feel pretty confident.

I agree that Ubuntu is certainly a popular distro. I use it myself. However if you just use it as a server, is it really that much different from Debian?
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
dillona_aix

Postby zoli » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:56 am

afonic: I use Ubuntu on my laptop as well (since you suggested) - I do not have anything against Ubuntu, just thought that we might continue Denis's server until he's away.

As we have some extra hardware available, it would be wise to install something on that. :)
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:15 pm

Yeah, thats why I asked if you have Denis' backups and so reviving Mandrake is something simple. If you need to create something from scratch there are some other distros we could use (like the example of Ubuntu and CentOS or even Slackware) which are better than Madriva imo.

PS. Also we have to assume Denis cannot run Mandrake anymore even if he ends the army, unless he says he can. :(
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby zoli » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:17 pm

Hello,

yes I do have Mandrakes backup, but it will not help a lot - I would use just password file, home directories and mysql database.

Otherwise I need about 3-4 days (read free nights) to set up a new OS. Therefore feel free to suggest whatever OS that would be interesting and can run on a P3 with 1G RAM (support for laptop hardware would be a plus)
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby Matej » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:05 pm

I also like ubuntu (and use it as a secondary OS). Perhaps it would be nice to have it on polarhome.
Matej
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby zoli » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:55 am

Seems there is not interes at all regarding this topic...

Regardless, I have good news. Both Mandriva and Ubuntu are installed and online - soon they will be in production.

Mandriva for Denis and Ubuntu for all others :)
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:08 pm

These are great news indeed! :)

Please let me know if you need any hardware or support.
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby sjaz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:04 pm

I'm also available extended this weekend if required.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Operating systems