Fedora 7 is out!

Linux, Unix, Windows..

Moderator: Moderators

Fedora 7 is out!

Postby afonic » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:56 am

The Fedora Project has announced the release of Fedora 7, code name "Moonshine": "Howdy, cousins! Welcome to our little Fedora hollow, where we've brewed up some mighty, mighty Fedora 7 Moonshine for your enjoyment." The latest version of the popular distribution comes with a number of new features, including "spins", or variations of Fedora built from a specific set of software packages, the latest GNOME 2.18 and KDE 3.5.6 desktops, fast user switching, improved internationalisation support, a new SELinux troubleshooting tool, significantly faster package management utilities, a new kernel-based virtual machine technology, and many other enhancements.

http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.html

Already installed the x86_64 version on my desktop via the KDE liveCD and testing this little beast out. :D
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby zoli » Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:03 am

Great...

I would suggest to wait few weeks until all obvious bugs are fixed and then we'll upgrade as well :)
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:36 am

You're talking for a guy who's been running Debian unstable for 3 months now. :P
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Fedora 7 is out!

Postby sjaz » Sat Jun 02, 2007 5:44 pm

afonic wrote:The Fedora Project has announced the release of Fedora 7, code name "Moonshine": "Howdy, cousins! Welcome to our little Fedora hollow, where we've brewed up some mighty, mighty Fedora 7 Moonshine for your enjoyment." The latest version of the popular distribution comes with a number of new features, including "spins", or variations of Fedora built from a specific set of software packages, the latest GNOME 2.18 and KDE 3.5.6 desktops, fast user switching, improved internationalisation support, a new SELinux troubleshooting tool, significantly faster package management utilities, a new kernel-based virtual machine technology, and many other enhancements.

http://fedoraproject.org/get-fedora.html

Already installed the x86_64 version on my desktop via the KDE liveCD and testing this little beast out. :D

Tell me if its worth getting away from ubuntu for.
sjaz
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:41 pm

It depends. In my eyes Fedora is more stable and "professional" made than Ubuntu. The x86_64 distro seems to be more polished and tested as well. However in the other hand I prefer apt-get than yum and enjoy the huge repository of Ubuntu that contains mp3 codecs, 3D drivers and other restricted stuff in their repositories. (while in Fedora you need to go out and hunt 3rd party repos yourself)

Fedora seems to have security in mind as well. An iptables based firewall is pre installed and configured as well as SELinux.

Also Ubuntu seems to be significantly slower than Fedora.

I think you should try and see. I dual boot Ubuntu 7.04 and Fedora 7 and wondering what I should choose. :)
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby zoli » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:39 am

haha... we'll see if it is worth to move away.

I consider myself a Fedora fan, but both Fedora and SuSE failed on my laptop.

SuSE could not even recognize the hard drives.
Under Fedora the WLAN, the bluetooth and the IR did not work. I am old and experienced enough to know that, yes it is possible to hack in all drivers, but it is not worth the effort just to have Fedora logo during boot time :)

The out of the box functionality rules (because time is money), therefore I definitely vote for Ubuntu - thank you afonic for turning my attention to this distro.

BTW ubuntu.polarhome.com is still in "almost ready" state, but I haven't had time to touch polarhome boxes including alpha last week.
Once I bring alpha back, ubuntu is the next :)
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby afonic » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:48 am

Don't expect too much on Fedora 7 then zoli. :)

Their policy about non-free firmware and drivers has not changed, (they included nothing on the DVD) so probably what used not to work, still won't do.
afonic
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby miker_alpha » Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:47 am

Being *extremely* ignorant about Un*x in general, and Linux specifically all I can say is that on some rather old HW Ubuntu "just works"
E.g. (I think I've probably mentioned before) an old Digital Hinote laptop with 96MB memory, where the only M$oft I could load was W98.

P.S. What I cannot get to work on several Ubuntu installations is dialup connection; (external modem, dials and connects but wont logon -- probably something I've missed...)

Enjoy!
MikeR
Look for OpenVMS help on my webpage
Check for QOTD here.
miker_alpha

Postby zoli » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:53 pm

Mike,

you should investigate around PPP or PPPoE functionality.
Regards,
Z
---
Zoltan Arpadffy
zoli
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Postby miker_alpha » Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:45 pm

Will do.
Thanks,
MikeR
Look for OpenVMS help on my webpage