[Vim-vms] RE: Help with VIM on VMS/DSM

Coen Engelbarts Coen.Engelbarts at cmg.nl
Fri Apr 19 13:56:39 CEST 2002

Hi all,

I found this mail a bit confusing because of the multiple quotes, and I hope
I understand it correctly:

Is this about the fact that vim sometimes crashes? I.e. this problem:

Do I understand correctly that this is caused by bugs in the regex functions
of the Unix compatibility library?

BTW: On my system, the VMS session does not really "freeze up", but the
DECTerm no longer echoes the commands that I type on the DCL prompt.
Everything else, including DCL/program output to terminal, still works.

> > > Vim does not have this behaviour on systems 7.1-2 and above.
> > > on vim-vms list it has been discussed a lot and we
> decided > (together with
> > > Bram) to leave it as it is.
> > > So, it is a known problem, that will disappear by time as
> > you upgrade your
> > > OpenVMS environment.

Errmm.. I have a problem with this statement. I see the crashing vim error
on both VMS systems that I use, and they have VMS versions  V7.1-2 and
V7.2-1.
Perhaps "my" systems have an older Unix compatibility library installed?
That would be great, because it would mean I can upgrade the library and get
rid of the crashes! Yay! :-)
What library(ies) are relevant, and what version(s) do I need?
Or perhaps I misunderstood the issue?

Thanks in advance,

Coen