[Vim-vms] RE: Help with VIM on VMS/DSM

Coen Engelbarts Coen.Engelbarts at cmg.nl
Fri Apr 19 15:00:30 CEST 2002

> the test clearly indicates failures on 21 and 32 systems
> below 7.1-2, and I could not reproduce the bug on 7.2 systems
> (nor alpha nor vax)

Right. Test 21 and test 32 fail on systems below 7.1-2.

> Runtime libs should come together with the VMS...
>
> BUT if you can reproduce the bug maybe we can lok at it a bit deeper.

Well, I just did:
In sys$login, I did:
	$ gvim *.com
	                   5 files to edit

Then I do :help <valid help subject> and gvim crashes.
The terminal shows
	Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS
	Vim: Finished.
$

Now the terminal no longer echoes the commands that I enter, but DCL/program
output to terminal still works.

I see the same with terminal vim.
(It does not matter if I have syntax hilighting on or off, in vim or gvim)

This is version:
	VIM - Vi IMproved 6.1a BETA (2002 Feb 24, compiled Mar  4 2002
11:27:24)
	OpenVMS version
	Included patches: 1-23
	Compiled by ZAY at PLUTO::pluto.essnet.se
	(etc.)

Generally, the crash seems to occur when (g)vim changes to a new syntax,
e.g. the help syntax, or switching between DCL and C files.

It's been on my to-do/wish-list for a while to compile vim myself and try to
get some more debugging-info. We have a nice Insight compiler here that does
run-time checking for out-of-bounds memory access and stuff like that. I'm
really more familiar with Unix than with VMS, so I don't know how to get
more info than this.
I REALLY would love to see this bug solved. Vim is not supposed to crash,
and VMS programs are not supposed to crash. It has kept me from installing
vim 6.x as the public/standard vim on these sytems.

Can you clarify the "unix-libary" story a bit, please? What library is this
exactly?
The only candidate for a "unix" or 'posix" library that I have found is
SYS$SHARE:CDE$UNIX_ROUTINES.EXE, and on the V7.1-2 system it has version:
	Version:  "V1.0"
	Linktime: 22-JAN-1998 13:37:16.77
	Platform: AXP

Thanks in advance.