[Vim-vms] RE: Vim 6.2 crash

Bram Moolenaar Bram at moolenaar.net
Thu Jan 15 20:19:03 CET 2004

Coen Engelbarts wrote:

[lots of debugging, crash in mch_expandpath() ]

> I'm pretty sure that decc$translate_vms() barfs on the escaped "\[", because
> it is not a valid "OpenVMS file specification"

OK, this makes sense.  If you look in the Unix version of
mch_expandpath() you will notice that it recognizes backslashes before
wildcard characters.  They are used to make something like "\*" result
in a literal "*", instead of being expanded as a wildcard.

What should probably happen for VMS is to remove the extra backslashes
before characters that are not really wildcard characters for VMS.  The
rem_backslash() or backslash_halve() function can be used for this.  It
may require copying the name into a buffer (probably allocated memory).
The Unix version of the mch_expandpath() function can function as an
example.

> I could remove the "\" before this call, but I suppose vim will need it
> later on.

If I remember correctly it will be added back automatically for the
resulting list of files.

I hope you can make a patch for this and try it out.

--
            ### Hiroshima 45, Chernobyl 86, Windows 95 ###

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram at Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///        Sponsor Vim, vote for features -- http://www.Vim.org/sponsor/ \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\  Help AIDS victims, buy here: http://ICCF-Holland.org/click1.html  ///