account admin tools
polarhome.com realm offers template and shell accounts on different operating systems. If you have at least ftp/template account, you may manage your account with installed tools on polarhome hosts.
account admin -
Usermin is a uniqe user administartion tool - a web interface that can be used by any user on a Unix system to easily perform tasks like reading mail, setting up SSH, change passwords or configuring mail forwarding etc.
- Do not play around with passwords! If you forget your password firstname.lastname@example.org can help you, but it can take days or even weeks until you get a new one.
- Keep in mind that finger or plan should include your valid e-mail address, because this is the only relevant contact with you, in case you need password reset, recovery or anything else.
- Usermin related questions you can ask on Forum
- Usermin run on port 81 on polarhome hosts, but to be able to access from Internet you should use port forwarding guide or links provided bellow.
- Web administration of user accounts is possible with Usermin that is installed on every system that support both Perl and Usermin modules:
database admin -
polarhome.com realm offers database accounts on almost every operating system. If you have at least template account and you want to use some of these SQL databases, please send your request to relevant authority - if you have not requested during template account creation.
Databases listed above are running on localhost on each server.
MySQL is an easy, fast and very popular SQL database engine.
- MySQL accounts are automatically created during user creation. Account detais are sent to users @hostname.polarhome.com e-mail address.
- If you created your account before 14th May 2002, or you haven't requested during ftp account creation - send your request to email@example.com
- You may change your MySQL password in phpMyAdmin.
- Password change/reset requests to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Terminal client: mysql
- Help and other (non password related) questions to email@example.com
- Check mysql-list archive.
- More info in MySQL manuals.
- Web administration is possible with phpMyAdmin that is installed on every system that support both PHP and MySQL database:
PostgreSQL is more sophisticated, object oriented SQL database with highly scalable access rights.
polarhome does not support PostgreSQL any more!
- The database engine is not supported on most systems.
- Users are not interested - in 2 years 9 accounts had been created and just 2 touched and used 0.
- It requires more knowledge and administartion that polarhome staff can appreciate.
mail/calendar/file manager -
Horde is an extemelly robust portal framework that provides mail, calendar and file level functionality on user's home directory.
ssh web client -
Mindterm is today probably the most widely spread client that implements the SSH1 and SSH2 protocols written in pure Java.
AppGate Network Security AB sponsors Mindterm site licence for polarhome.com
About AppGate Network Security AB
In a world with fewer borders, the demand for network security changes from security at the gate, to security at the source. AppGate is the leader in this space, with a solution that protects applications, protects communication and secures end point devices. The AppGate solution supports all types of transmission, fixed, wireless and mobile and is easily integrated into any customer environment. AppGate has customers in 19 countries, many from market segments like defense, government and Fortune 500 companies.
Note: it might take a while when you load the applet the very first time.
For users that do not have shell access, it is extremely hard to find errors in CGIs or analyze http failures. Here you can find a web simulation of tail function for some log files that could be useful for debugging.
http log monitor have been installed on most of the systems - but it might not work always:
polarhome.com is aware of security risk that comes with publishing these log files. But as an educative system it does not have a choice.
Polarhome, production since 1999.
Member of Polarhome portal.