polarhome datacenter

Hard and soft ware discusion.

Moderator: Moderators

polarhome datacenter

Postby zoli » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:07 am

polarhome network backbone is upgraded to Mikrotik CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+, TP-LINK TL-SG2424, Cisco Catalyst WS-C2960G-48TC-L. The routers/swithes are second hand, close to end of support date products - but still much better than earlier. The old Mikrotik RB450G, that served well for many years is now in the museum.

I don't brag - but sometimes I feel that it is a pure miracle how polarhome is able to be mostly online while I am working full time - often abroad...hmmm in a server room where yearly temperatures vary between -10 and +50 degrees celsius.

I reveal the secret of the remote management of the small network infrastructure :)

1. fast, reliable, secure and easily managable router - my choice was Mikrotik
2. stable, remote managable backbone switches that just simply work whatever happens with them. TP-LINK and Cisco have proved to work well in the polarhome's extreme environment
3. Remote managable KVM - Raritan Dominion KX is the heart of the console work. It handles serial consoles, text and graphical ones perfectly.
4. Virtualize whatever you can - easier hadware management, backup, restore etc. - VirtualBox and SIMH was my choice
5. Create periodic backups - modern hard disks live no longer than 3 years with polarhome type of usage. Be prepared.

That's it. This simply works.

Seems the most important that I learned during the past 17 years is: it is better to get what is needed, than to patch and hassle arround with some equipment that it not made for the purpose you intend to use.
Zoltan Arpadffy
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: polarhome datacenter

Postby sjaz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:22 am

Amazing :)
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Return to Computers