[Nasional-m] The Chief of the National Intelligence Agency

Ambon nasional-m@polarhome.com
Tue Sep 17 09:48:08 2002

http://www.laskarjihad.or.id/english/news/des2001/engdes0116.htm

The Chief of the National Intelligence Agency:
Laskar Jihad has no Link with Al-Qaeda

Jakarta, LaskarJihad.or.id (December 16, 2001)
The Chief of the National Intelligence Agency, Mr. Hendropriyono, clarified
his previous statement in regards to Al-Qaeda operating in Poso, Central
Sulawesi. Additionally, he stated emphatically that Laskar Jihad didn't have
any links with the Al-Qaeda network.

Speaking with reporters at the National Palace in Jakarta on Monday, Mr.
Hendropriyono attempted to clarify his previous remarks in regards to
Al-Qaeda operating in Poso. "I never said that Al-Qaeda was involved in the
conflict in Poso, and I never said that Al-Qaeda had a cell in Indonesia. I
only said that there are some international terroristic activities that have
been practiced in Poso," said Mr. Hendropriyono.
Laskar Jihad is Not Linked With Al-Qaeda
Mr. Hendropriyono stated further that Laskar Jihad was not linked with the
Al-Qaeda network in any way. While he conceded that the Laskar Jihad leader,
Ja'far Umar Thalib, had met Bin Laden in Peshawar, Pakistan in 1987, he
maintained that Bin Laden and Ja'far were not close and that they had
immensely different interpretations of Islam. Mr. Hendropriyono exclaimed
that, "In many ways Ja'far and Bin Laden are not compatible. How could he
work for Bin Laden? It's impossible. I tell you again, it is not possible
for them to work together." Bin Laden and Ja'far met in Pakistan when both
had traveled there to participate in the Jihad against the Soviets in
Afghanistan. (Har)

Copyright © 2000 Laskar Jihad