[Vim-vms] RE: VIM on OpenVMS

Bram Moolenaar Bram at moolenaar.net
Mon Nov 10 17:28:34 CET 2003

Frank -

> Thank you both very much for your responses on this.
>
> I had put an "#include <trmdef.h>" in os_unix.h under the VMS
> conditional which is already there and has a bunch of other VMS
> includes. I thought that it should go there rather than in os_vms.h
> since the other includes were there. If you think that include should go
> into os_vms.h, let me know. I want to make sure I follow your
> conventions.

Looks OK to me.

> Also, I included the "#ifdef __GNV" in the code segment that I gave you
> just so that you could see the new and the old code. I don't need to
> have that in any final version if you decide to go with my code. At this
> point, I have no other changes to VIM in order to use it with GNV.
> Zoltan, you did a great job!

If this code works for all VMS systems we can just leave out the #ifdef.
If there is an (old) version that can't handle it we might use an
#ifdef.  Please do try out this code on various systems.  If it looks
good we'll use the approach to use the new code until someone complains.

> One recommendation I might make is in the "VIM, TMP and VIMRUNTIME" or
> any other logical names you might use. Including a special character,
> such as a dollar sign ($) in the logical name helps prevent some
> problems you can run into with symbol substitution in VMS. For example,
> if you define the logical name "VIM" to be "DISK:[PATH.VIM]" and then
> try to give a command like "TYPE VIM" you would expect that command to
> type out a file named "VIM" in your current directory. However, DCL will
> substitute "DISK:[PATH.VIM]" for "VIM" to result in the command "TYPE
> DISK:[PATH.VIM]", which is not what the user would expect. If instead
> you used the logical names "VIM$, TMP$ and VIMRUNTIME$", this would be
> much less likely to happen. Perhaps to keep backward compatibility, VIM
> could use both sets of logicals? Just a thought.

I have no opinion on this, since I don't know this enviroment.

> Bram, do you have any licensing issues with us including VIM with GNV?
> As I stated in my original email, GNV is open source, and is free to
> all. We are hoping that if you do include the fix I have provided that
> we will not have to make any changes to VIM ourselves, but just include
> it with GNV.

That sounds OK.  See ":help uganda" for the license details.

Thanks for your help!

- Bram

--
Engineers are always delighted to share wisdom, even in areas in which they
have no experience whatsoever.  Their logic provides them with inherent

 /// Bram Moolenaar -- Bram at Moolenaar.net -- http://www.Moolenaar.net   \\\
///          Creator of Vim - Vi IMproved -- http://www.Vim.org          \\\
\\\              Project leader for A-A-P -- http://www.A-A-P.org        ///
 \\\  Help AIDS victims, buy here: http://ICCF-Holland.org/click1.html  ///