[Vim-vms] RE: VIM on OpenVMS

Ries, Frank frank.ries at hp.com
Mon Nov 10 16:37:25 CET 2003

Hi Bram and Zoltan,

Thank you both very much for your responses on this.

I had put an "#include <trmdef.h>" in os_unix.h under the VMS
conditional which is already there and has a bunch of other VMS
includes. I thought that it should go there rather than in os_vms.h
since the other includes were there. If you think that include should go
into os_vms.h, let me know. I want to make sure I follow your
conventions.

Also, I included the "#ifdef __GNV" in the code segment that I gave you
just so that you could see the new and the old code. I don't need to
have that in any final version if you decide to go with my code. At this
point, I have no other changes to VIM in order to use it with GNV.
Zoltan, you did a great job!

One recommendation I might make is in the "VIM, TMP and VIMRUNTIME" or
any other logical names you might use. Including a special character,
such as a dollar sign ($) in the logical name helps prevent some
problems you can run into with symbol substitution in VMS. For example,
if you define the logical name "VIM" to be "DISK:[PATH.VIM]" and then
try to give a command like "TYPE VIM" you would expect that command to
type out a file named "VIM" in your current directory. However, DCL will
substitute "DISK:[PATH.VIM]" for "VIM" to result in the command "TYPE
DISK:[PATH.VIM]", which is not what the user would expect. If instead
you used the logical names "VIM$, TMP$ and VIMRUNTIME$", this would be
much less likely to happen. Perhaps to keep backward compatibility, VIM
could use both sets of logicals? Just a thought.

I have access to ALPHA and VAX systems running OpenVMS V6.2, and I will
try the code I gave you on both to make sure there are no issues with
the older versions of OpenVMS. I'll let you both know how that goes.

Bram, do you have any licensing issues with us including VIM with GNV?
As I stated in my original email, GNV is open source, and is free to
all. We are hoping that if you do include the fix I have provided that
we will not have to make any changes to VIM ourselves, but just include
it with GNV.

Thank you both for your help.

Frank Ries