[Vim-vms] Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS

Coen Engelbarts coen.engelbarts at cmg.nl
Fri Oct 22 11:21:29 CEST 2004

Norbert Groen wrote on Thursday, October 21, 2004 7:40 PM :

> I installed vim on vms, but I get a dump when I try ":help":
> Vim: Caught deadly signal BUS
> Vim: Finished.

Hi Norbert

Your crash looks exactly like a crash I wrote about in january this year.
I get the same crash when I try ":n \[.syntax]<CTRL-D> "
That was vim 6.2.106 on OpenVMS V7.2-1.

I never found a solution for the crash, but it might help you to know that vim crashes/crashed while expanding filenames on VMS, in particular: while expanding directory names.
I suspect that your vim is looking for files, expands filenames, and then crashes.
However, your mail did not hint at why vim tried to open os_unix.c

Can you post (confirm) exactly how you encountered this problem?
Is ":help" the _exact_ command that you type?
Can you reproduce the problem without running any .vimrc files, i.e. when you start vim with "vim -U NONE"?

The file "sys$login:[.vimfiles.doc]tags-??" looks like the help index, i.e. the tags file that vim uses to find help texts.
However, I would expect that file to be in "VIM:[000000.DOC]tags.", not in your home directory. (unless vim6.3 has moved it)

Perhaps there is something wrong with your configuration of the help files.
Are your help files present?
Are they in "VIM:[000000.DOC]"?

Hope this helps,

Coen