[Vim-vms] Vim 7.3 executables

Arpadffy Zoltan Zoltan.Arpadffy at scientificgames.se
Fri Dec 3 16:01:04 CET 2010

Hello,

VMS executables of Vim 7.3-69 for VAX, AXP (Alpha) and IA64 are downloadable from http://www.polarhome.com/vim/

:version

VIM - Vi IMproved 7.3 (2010 Aug 15, compiled Nov 29 2010 14:38:26)

OpenVMS version - Alpha

Included patches: 1-69

Compiled by SYSTEM at ALPHA::alpha.polarhome.com

Huge version with X11-Motif GUI.  Features included (+) or not (-):

+arabic +autocmd +balloon_eval +browse ++builtin_terms +byte_offset +cindent

+clientserver +clipboard +cmdline_compl +cmdline_hist +cmdline_info +comments

+conceal +cryptv -cscope +cursorbind +cursorshape +dialog_con_gui +diff

+digraphs -dnd -ebcdic +emacs_tags +eval +ex_extra +extra_search +farsi

+file_in_path +find_in_path +float +folding -footer -gettext -hangul_input

-iconv +insert_expand +jumplist +keymap +langmap -libcall +linebreak

+lispindent +listcmds +localmap -lua +menu +mksession +modify_fname +mouse

+mouseshape +mouse_dec -mouse_gpm -mouse_jsbterm +mouse_netterm -mouse_sysmouse

 +mouse_xterm +multi_byte +multi_lang -mzscheme -netbeans_intg -osfiletype

+path_extra -perl +persistent_undo +postscript +printer +profile -python

-python3 +quickfix +reltime +rightleft -ruby +scrollbind +signs +smartindent

-sniff +startuptime +statusline -sun_workshop +syntax +tag_binary

+tag_old_static -tag_any_white -tcl +tgetent +termresponse +textobjects +title

-toolbar +user_commands +vertsplit +virtualedit +visual +visualextra +viminfo

+vreplace +wildignore +wildmenu +windows -writebackup +X11 +xfontset -xim -xsmp

 +xterm_clipboard -xterm_save

   system vimrc file: "$VIM/vimrc"

     user vimrc file: "sys$login:.vimrc"

 2nd user vimrc file: "sys$login:_vimrc"

      user exrc file: "sys$login:.exrc"

  2nd user exrc file: "sys$login:_exrc"

  system gvimrc file: "$VIM/gvimrc"

    user gvimrc file: "sys$login:.gvimrc"

2nd user gvimrc file: "sys$login:_gvimrc"

Compilation: cc/def=(FEAT_HUGE,HAVE_CONFIG_H,FEAT_GUI_MOTIF  )  /opt/prefix=all  /include=([.proto],decw$include:)

Compiler: Compaq C V6.5-001 on OpenVMS Alpha V7.3

Linking: link /exe=vim.exe *.OBJ ,OS_VMS_MOTIF.OPT/OPT

... but here are the important notes:

-          Vim 7.3 does not support any longer the GTK (version 1.x) just GTK2 - and so far the GTK2 is not ported to VMS, I was not able to build GTK executables
-          Seems my old VAX is not able to build Vim 7.3 because of memory (or quota) problems. I was able to build just console executable and GUI Motif executable will come later when I figure out what is the problem.

... also there are some good news too:
-          on Samuel Ferencik's initiative I have opened a ticket tracking system where the VMS related bugs can be registered and tracked.
-          because Vim 7.3 does not have all earlier executables I have updated the archive and allowed download for older executables at http://www.polarhome.com/vim/files/archive/
-          runtime + binaries combined packages (like vim-73-axp) contain both console (VIM.EXE) and Motif (GVIM.EXE) executable allowing the following definitions and saving bandwidth, resources when needed allowing faster editing in console mode.

            $ vi*m :== mcr VIM:VIM.EXE

            $ gv*im :== spawn/nowait mcr VIM:GVIM.EXE -g

I will continue to work on listed issues where the priority is:
- VAX executables
- GTK2 for VMS
- major tickets

... if you feel that you have time to contribute, you are very welcome.

Regards,