[Marinir] Foto Penyiksaan Tentara AS & Inggris Membuat Arab Marah

Hong Gie ouwehoer at centrin.net.id
Sun May 2 08:52:06 CEST 2004

http://www.detiknews.com/index.php/detik.read/tahun/2004/bulan/05/tgl/02/tim
e/1185/idnews/138527/idkanal/10

Foto Penyiksaan Tentara AS dan Inggris Membuat Arab Marah
Sumber: ,

detikcom - Jakarta, Foto tentara AS dan Inggris yang menyiksa tawanan Irak
menimbulkan reaksi marah Arab. Sejumlah tokoh di AS, Inggris dan Timur
Tengah meminta mereka pelakunya diadili.

Demikian berita yang dirangkum dari BBC dan AP, Sabtu (1/5/2004). Departemen
Pertahanan Inggris akan melakukan penyelidikan tuduhan tentaranya terhadap
tawanan di Irak seperti dipertunjukan dalam foto harian Daily Mirror.

Sejumlah tokoh politik Amerika, Inggris dan Timur Tengah mengaku jijik
dengan gambar-gambar yang disiarkan di televisi AS. Mereka juga menyerukan
agar orang-orang yang bertanggungjawab dalam penyiksaan terhadap tawanan
untuk diadili.

CBS News menyatakan sudah menunda penayangan foto-foto itu selama dua minggu
atas permintaan Pentagon karena adanya ketegangan di Irak. Bulan lalu,
angkatan darat Amerika menskors 17 prajurit yang dituduh menganiaya tawanan.

Anggota kongres dari Partai Republik Jim Leach mengatakan, AS selama ini
membanggakan pasukannya yang memperlakukan tawanan secara terhormat. Tapi
dengan adanya foto itu, maka harus ada penyelidikan kepada pasukannya sampai
ke pengadilan militer di AS.

Sementara itu, anggota Dewan Pemerintahan Irak Adnan Al-Pachachi mengatakan,
tindakan tentara AS dan Inggris membuat marah rakyat Irak yang sebelumnya
sudah cemas dengan keamanan di Irak. Namun dia enggan membandingkan
perlakuan tawanan di penjara Abu Ghraib dengan zaman Saddam Hussein.

"Saya kira dua hal itu tidak bisa dibandingkan. Tawanan Saddam Hussein tidak
hanya disiksa tetapi juga dieksekusi. Keadaan dulu jauh lebih jelek daripada
sekarang," katanya.

Pemimpin Redaksi saluran TV Arab Ahmed al-Sheik mengatakan, foto itu membuat
marah dunia Arab. "Foto foto itu tidak hanya menghina Irak, namun semua
warga Arab di seluruh dunia," katanya kepada BBC.(zal)

Baca juga:

Blair: Foto Itu Memalukan
Foto Tentara Inggris Kencingi Tahanan Irak Dilansir
Bush Jijik Perlakuan Tak Senonoh Tentara AS pada Tahanan Irak
Foto Tentara AS Siksa Tahanan Irak Kejutkan Arab

WATCH AND LISTEN
The BBC's Paul Adams
"It's reported the prisoner was savagely beaten before being thrown from the
back of a moving vehicle"

Last Updated: Saturday, 1 May, 2004, 05:28 GMT 06:28 UK
UK troops in Iraqi torture probe

The paper claims British soldiers handed over the photos
The Ministry of Defence has launched an investigation into allegations that
British soldiers have been pictured torturing an Iraqi prisoner.
The photographs, obtained by the Daily Mirror newspaper, show a suspected
thief being beaten and urinated on.

Downing Street swiftly condemned the pictures, echoing concerns it earlier
expressed over images of Iraqi prisoners being abused by US troops.
The pictures involving American troops provoked international outrage.
They included a hooded and naked prisoner standing on a box with wires
attached to his genitals.
US President George W Bush vowed that those responsible would be "taken
care of".
"If proven, not only is such appalling conduct clearly unlawful but also
contravenes the British Army's high standards of conduct" Sir Mike Jackson
Chief of General Staff

Row over list of US Iraq dead
"I shared a deep disgust that those prisoners were treated the way they were
treated. I didn't like it one bit," he said.
The people who are alleged to have carried out the abuse "do not reflect the
nature of men and women we sent overseas", Mr Bush added.
Tony Blair's official spokesman said this behaviour directly contravened the
US-led coalition's policy.
Later on Friday Downing Street responded to the pictures printed in the
Mirror.
A spokesman said: "We expect the highest standards of conduct from our
forces in Iraq despite the difficulties they face."
The UK's top general, Sir Mike Jackson said if the allegations proved to be
true, the members of the Queen's Lancashire regiment, involved were not fit
to wear the uniform.
Defence Minister Adam Ingram told the Mirror the behaviour was "clearly
unacceptable".
"If true, those responsible should be arrested by MoD Police and removed
from Iraq immediately" Paul Keetch MP Liberal Democrat defence spokesman
He added: "We have, of course, launched an immediate investigation."

BBC defence correspondent Paul Adams said the MoD was in a "tailspin" over
the news, which threatened the British mission to win Iraqi "hearts and
minds".
The Mirror says the pictures were handed over by British soldiers who
claimed a rogue element in the British army was responsible for abusing
prisoners and civilians.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, the soldiers told the paper no charges
were brought against the unnamed captive.
They allege during his eight-hour ordeal he was threatened with execution,
his jaw broken and his teeth smashed.

'Losing war'
After being beaten and urinated on, he was driven away and dumped from the
back of a moving vehicle, the soldiers claimed, unaware if he was dead.
The reason for making the photos public was, they said, to show why the
US-UK coalition was encountering such fierce resistance in Iraq.
One told the paper: "We are not helping ourselves out there. We are never
going to get them on our side. We are fighting a losing war."
In a press conference, Sir Mike Jackson, Chief of General Staff, said: "If
proven, not only is such appalling conduct clearly unlawful but also
contravenes the British Army's high standards of conduct.

Sir Michael said most UK soldiers were commendable
"The allegations are already under investigation.
"Again, if proven, the perpetrators are not fit to wear the Queen's uniform
and they have besmirched the Army's good name and conduct."
But he said the Army should not be judged on the behaviour of a few soldiers
who had let down the good work of tens of thousands of others.
Ahmed al-Sheik, editor-in-chief of Arab TV news channel, said the
photographs would outrage Arabs around the world.
"These scenes are humiliating not only to the Iraqis, but to every Arab
citizen around the world," he told BBC Two's Newsnight.
Liberal Democrat defence spokesman Paul Keetch called on Defence Secretary
Geoff Hoon to come to the Commons to make a statement on the allegations.
And Donald Anderson, the Labour chairman of the House of Commons Foreign
Affairs Select Committee, said the pictures could hit the Army's morale.
This is not the first incidence of alleged abuse by British troops in Iraq.
Ten claims of torture have been investigated and five inquiries are ongoing,
including one in which soldiers of the Queen's Lancashire Regiment, based in
Catterick, North Yorkshire, have been questioned about the alleged killing
of an Iraqi.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/3674355.stm

Last Updated: Friday, 30 April, 2004, 22:07 GMT 23:07 UK
Bush 'disgusted' by Iraq abuses

The US has taken thousands of prisoners since the invasion
President George W Bush says he shares the widespread international
revulsion at the abuse of Iraqi prisoners by US guards at a notorious
Baghdad jail.
As the graphic pictures were beamed across the world, Mr Bush said he was
disgusted and vowed that those responsible would be "taken care of".
One of the images shows a hooded and naked prisoner standing on a box with
wires attached to his genitals.
A row has also broken out over the UK's treatment of prisoners in Iraq.
"I share a deep disgust that the prisoners were treated the way they were"
President Bush
Abuse angers Arab world
Pictures obtained by the Daily Mirror newspaper appear to show a suspected
thief being beaten and urinated upon in military custody.
In another development, an Iraqi force has begun moving into the strife-torn
city of Falluja as US marines pull back to positions outside the city, to
the jubilation of many residents.
US military officials hope the new Iraqi force, led by one of Saddam
Hussein's former generals, will be able to gain the trust of residents.
Court martial
In March, the US army suspended 17 soldiers over alleged prisoner abuses.
 Abu Ghraib prison was much feared in Saddam Hussein's era
Six soldiers - including a brigadier general - now face court martial and a
possible prison term over the POW pictures taken at the notorious Abu Ghraib
detention facility in Baghdad and broadcast by CBS television on Thursday.
The prisoner with wires attached to his genitals was told that if he fell
off the box he would be electrocuted, CBS said.
Another image shows naked prisoners being forced to simulate sex acts while
in another, a female soldier simulates holding a gun and pointing at a naked
Iraqi's genitals.
CBS News said it had delayed the broadcast for two weeks after a request
from the Pentagon due to the tensions in Iraq.
"I shared a deep disgust that those prisoners were treated the way they were
treated. I didn't like it one bit," President Bush said in Washington.
The people who are alleged to have carried out the abuse "do not reflect the
nature of men and women we sent overseas", Mr Bush added.
"That's not the way we do things in America."
A spokesman for UK Prime Minister Tony Blair said he was "appalled" and
described the incident as regrettable.
'No training'
The pictures did not initially cause much of a stir in America - partly
because any criticism of US troops while they are dying in Iraq is liable to
be extremely unpopular in the US, says the BBC's Justin Webb in Washington.
ABC's Nightline, an influential evening current affairs television
programme, is to hold a reading on Friday night of all the names of the
American dead.
One of the suspended soldiers, Staff Sergeant Chip Frederick, said the way
the army ran the prison had led to the abuse.
"We had no support, no training whatsoever," he told CBS.
Adnan Al-Pachachi, a member of the US-appointed Iraqi Governing Council,
said the issue would anger Iraqis but he rejected comparisons with the
treatment of prisoners under Saddam Hussein.
"Saddam Hussein's prisoners were not only tortured but executed," the Iraqi
official said.